New to the OAC?|
What We Do
OPENAIR Circus is a non-profit community-based circus. Our primary program is our summer circus, where we offer classes and performances each summer. In addition, we offer workshops and a teen-leadership program, and performance opportunities to people of all ages.
From the end of June through the end of July we teach circus and performing skills in a non-competitive atmosphere. Our classes are 1 hour long in the afternoon. A registration fee of $20/child or $30/family covers as many classes as the student is interested in. To see what our schedule typically looks like, here is last year's class schedule.
We then rehearse for a week, and put on four full circus performances under a big top, typically in Nunziato Field, in Union Square, Somerville, during the first weekend in August.
Registration typically opens June 1st each summer.
If you have any questions, please contact Peter Jehlen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Workshops and Parties
We also hold workshops, mostly at festivals such as ArtBeat, Cambridge Carnival and various Somerstreets events. These workshops tend to involve our teaching stilting to participants for free in a 1-on-1 fashion. Each student gets several minutes of trying out stilting, with most adults and roughly half of children ending up being able to walk without assistance (though still being spotted) by the end of their turn. We also teach at parties and hold lessons for organizations. Click here for more details.
To stay up on our performances, workshops, the summer session, and every other thing that's going on, please contact Peter Jehlen at email@example.com and tell us what you're interested in hearing about.
Know the basics?
Want to Help Out?
Click here for a list of some of the volunteer opportunities we have available
Support Us through Amazon Smile:
Support us when you shop on Amazon.com by going to http://smile.amazon.com/ref=org_sls_rlp_sas_sml, 0.5% of eligible purchases will be donated to the OPENAIR Circus!
Upcoming Important Dates:
- Online registration for summer program is available
- Jun 22 - Growing Center Ribbon Cutting - Stilting Walkabout
- Jun 22 - Pancake breakfast - 67 Dane St from 9:30-11:00am
- Jun 25 - Classes start
- Jul 13 - Artbeat - Stilting Workshop (Details to come)
- Jul 25 - Last day of classes
- Jul 30/311 - Class Rehearsals
- Aug 1 - Full Rehearsal
- Aug 2 - 7pm
- Aug 3 - 2pm and 7pm
- Aug 4 - 2pm
- Sep 8 - Cambridge Carnival - Stilting Workshop (details to come)
- Sep 15 - Somerstreets: Strike Up the Band (Highland Ave) - Stilting Workshop (details to come)
- Oct 13 - Honk Parade (details to come)
- Oct 20 - Somerstreets: Monster Mash-Up (Somerville Ave) - Parade and Stilting Workshop (details to come)
Check us out on Twitter
For updates and weather related schedule changes